Four schools could be closed by the end of the 2014 school year in School District 69. They are:
Qualicum Beach Elementary
Winchelsea Elementary in Parksville
French Creek Elementary in Coombs
SD69 current enrolment in the district is 3,960; capacity is 5,900. The school board is faced with finding $2.4 million savings over the next three years to meet its budget.
Over the next two months there will be consultation meetings with parents, staff and various stakeholder groups.
On Tuesday, January 28, 2014, the Board of Education of School District 69 (Qualicum) approved the following motion:
THAT the Board of Education of School District 69 (Qualicum) has fully considered the report “Facility Use and Resource Alignment” and intends to pass a motion to act on the recommendations contained therein no earlier than April 29, 2014. That such motion will result in the closure, consolidation and/or reconfiguration of schools in the district’; and further,
THAT Board of Education of School District 69 (Qualicum) direct the Superintendent to conduct a comprehensive public consultation process of no less than ninety (90) days in accordance with the School Act and Ministerial Order 194/08 and Board Policy 3040: School Closure, Consolidation or Reconfiguration.
The next stage of the process is a 90-day consultation period on the recommendation in the report to reconfigure the District as a K-7, 8-12 model, which could result in the closure of schools. During the consultation period the recommendation can be refined or amended to reflect additional information and input from the public. The Board encourages participation by all individuals so that they can make the best possible final decision by April 30, 2014. Comments can be emailed to the school board at email@example.com.
Initial meetings have been scheduled as follows:
- Springwood Middle School -MPR Parksville (Wednesday, February 12th at 7:00 pm)
- School District 69 Office – 1365 Springhill Road in Parksville (Wednesday, February 19th at 12:30 pm)
- Kwalikum Secondary – MPR (Wednesday, February 19th at 3:45 pm)
- Qualicum Beach Middle School – MPR (Monday, February 24th at 7:00 pm)
- Oceanside Middle School Library (Thursday, March 13th at 7:00 pm)
- Springwood Middle School -MPR (Monday, April 7th at 3:45 pm)
- Springwood Middle School -MPR (Wednesday, April 16th at 7:00 pm)
- Special Board Meeting – Approval of Facilities Option and the 2014-15 Preliminary Budget (Tuesday, April 29th at 7:00 pm Forum PCTC)