Our neighbours down the road in Shawnigan Lake have been trying to stop a contaminated soil dump in their watershed for the last three and half years. The residents are concerned about toxins leaking into their drinking water from the site.
Here are the highlights from their video: “We Thought It Would Be Enough”
- 300 people attended a public meeting; all opposed the contaminated soil dump except two
- CVRD, CRD, VIHA and Cowichan Tribes all sent letters to the BC government outlining their opposition to the contaminated soil dump
- 9 expert witnesses gave statements to the Evironmental Appeal Board backing up Shawnigan Lake residents’ concerns
- 15,000 signatures on a petition were delivered to the BC Legislature
- 1,600 people attended a demonstration on the lawns of the BC Legislature
- detailed documents revealing secret agreements were submitted
- water samples showed toxins in the water
- Malahat First Nation asked the BC government for a stay of the Ministry of Environment’s permit for the contaminated soil dump until more testing was completed
So far, these collective actions have not gained the ear of the BC government which is allowing the contaminated soil dump to continue its operations. The worst part is yet to come; the company may sue the residents’ for lost revenue.
Watch this Shawnigan Lake video: